Five Mistake of My Life: Shahin



People make mistakes. What sets apart intelligent men, then, is that they never repeat them. Yet, there will always be an unfortunate few who stand out for the exact opposite reason. Mistakes, especially the more inane ones, are their trademarks. I am one of them – a six-foot-something, bespectacled, curly-haired, happy-go-lucky dreamer. And this is my story.
The year is 1992. I am five and in a fever. So Mom takes me to meet a friendly, big-bellied man. His name is Doctor uncle. He gives me a magic potion, and hey presto! I’m cured. And there begins my dream of becoming a doctor. In later years, with the cold and ruthless clarity of retrospect, I will count this as the first of my life’s big mistakes.
Fast forward. Monday, 8th of August 2005 – thirteen years of dreaming bear fruit. I am standing in the COK auditorium, taking the Hippocratic oath along with a hundred and ninety nine others. Ah! The twinkle in my eyes…The pride in my heart… The seniors outside, sharpening their fangs… And Mom chiding me to stand straight… The first few days, I’m just another roll number, dozing through the classes and bird-watching whenever I happen to be awake.
And then, somewhere along the first week of December, I notice her for the first time. I’ve spotted her a few times before, but she never hung around my heart for too long. Until now, that is. Perhaps, it is the magic of the approaching winter. There is an aura all about her. Something irresistible. Something special. The Queen of my dreams… The light of my eyes… My heart beat… My breath… I am in Heaven… I am in Hell… She loves me… She loves me not… Love is the most exquisite of agonies…
The sun rises on Valentine’s Day, 2006. Last night I couldn’t sleep, and yet, I’ve never been more awake. I am holding a rose and walking towards her. Nearer. Closer. She turns towards me, smiling brightly, and I find myself reduced to the state of a slave standing before his Queen. My systems just crashed. Love does that to people. Sheesh! Luckily, my friend agrees to play messenger. He offers the rose to her. She accepts. And then he tells her it’s from me – the next I know, my rose is being trampled beneath her foot, and with it, my heart. In that moment, my second mistake bites dust. Neither I, nor my friend, ever again greet Valentine’s day with a smile.
Months pass and the results are out. I’m surprised to find that I have passed. But there are more important things on my mind. I need to win her back. The Queen of my dreams still reigns supreme after all. I plot, and plan. And then plot some more… And then it hits me, like a pack of ice on a cold, rainy day. I will bring out a book on physiology – something like SoP. That’ll impress her for sure and she’ll be running after me. ( I have always been an optimist, you know :p ) All my spare time is spent working on it. Days turn into weeks and weeks run into months. The book is printed. I have spent a lot of money on it, some mine, some borrowed. But there are no buyers. I end up neck-deep in bankruptcy, and what is worse, her opinion of me sinks to newer depths. (Optimism sucks, big time!) Those 200 copies are still gathering dust in a big box beneath my bed – a perpetual reminder of my third mistake.
December 2007. The college is blanketed in the spirit of politics. The birth, and rise, of Campus United. I am a silent admirer, pledging allegiance to it, but never openly. My friends do not approve of my neutral stand and often complain. The elections come and go, leaving CU a depleted force. Yet, the air is still charged with tension. Two of my friends get beaten up. In retaliation, my entire batch pays a visit to the junior hostel. I follow them, intending to be nothing more than a passive observer. Tempers soon flare up on both sides. Amidst the confusion, I shout ‘Go to Hell!’ at one of the union members. And because of that one moment of stupidity, the next few days find my name in the papers, and me in Court. While I grow in infamy, I quietly update my list of mistakes.
Summer 2009. Funny how things change. I am now King to my Queen. I still don’t know what happened, but here we are- me, my girl, my dreams, our little world. I should be happy. After all, isn’t this is what I have always wanted? Yet, something just isn’t right. My phone bills are growing. My marks are sinking. I am going deaf in one ear.(Roundabout 4000 Hz, I believe) I have no free time, no freedom, no voice…If only I had known that there is nothing but a wink between a dream and a nightmare… Sigh… Sad that a King should be worse off than a slave.

1 Response to Five Mistake of My Life: Shahin

  1. Arun R says:

    NICE WORK DA…..

    Pakshe ithu kettappol enikkingane kootichetkkanamennu thonni….

    Marakkappetta kuzhimadathil arppikkunna oru poovu…..unagiya rosa
    dalangalilekku prabhathathinte mizhiyil ninnu adarnnu veezhunna manju
    kanam pole aanu
    Ninte nirasakal kondu…ninte parajayangal kondu..nee oru savakudeeram
    theerthu…kalam oru panineer pushpathilennapol ninte jeevithathileeku
    oru kootukariye thannu…….prabhathathil ninnittitta oru manjuu kanam
    pole…….
    Athinte ardratha ninte hridayathil padarnnu kayaratte…..
    Nee ninte vidhiye pazhikkaruthu……
    Hridayathinte bhashayil rajavenno……adimayenno
    illa……..pranayikkunnavanu…..avan swayam adimayayum pranyikkunnavalkku
    avan rajavayum thonnuka swabhavikamanu…..pakshe ee randu thonnalum
    nine thane vettayadumpol njan athisayichupokunnu….
    Mohangalkku adimayakathavanu mathrame….thante swapnagalude rajavakan
    kazhiyoo ennorkkuka
    Ninte kaikumpilekku uranjuveena aa manju thulli nee marodanakkuka…..
    Ninte hridathil sookshikkuka……
    Uchaveyilil urukathe…..
    Oru sayamakalathile nalla oormakkayi… madhuramulla oru nanavinayii…..
    Nee orikkalum athine veruthu pokaruthu….
    Karanam veruppu oru kuthozhukku pole aanu…athorikkalum poovitta
    chillakale vahikkunnilla…athinte kuthozhukkil unngiya marakkompukale
    mathram vahikkukayum nasathinte vakkilulla veedukale mathram
    nasippikkukayum cheyyunnu……

    Ninakku mangalam

Post a Comment